Monday, September 19, 2011

Orzo Salad Bento

Orzo Salad Bento by sherimiya ♥
Orzo Salad Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
It looks like we are finally getting our summer weather this week. Today was a hot 80F and more of the same is forecast in the near future. So I took advantage of the summery vibe and made an orzo salad. When MisterMan was a toddler, he had a friend whose mom always made spinach and orzo. It seemed so curiously healthy; I'd never heard of it before. So finally, numerous years later, I'm making it. Whole wheat orzo tossed with spinach-y pesto and topped with feta and more fresh shredded spinach. You could add olives too, if you like. I supplemented this meatless Monday bento with corn on the cob, peapods, carrots, grape tomatoes, a smiling apple-shaped Okinawan sweet potato, strawberry, and a pluot! I couldn't believe I found more pluots at my farmer's market this past weekend. One vendor still had them and when I saw that I scooped them up. Well, now I know why they're hard to find. They are no longer in season. Juicy, yes, but not sweet. Aww. The memory of the ultra sweet deliciousness from earlier this summer will have to suffice. Until next summer.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely bento. They are always so healthy and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A healthy & delicious bento, love the smiling apple-shaped Okinawan sweet potato...so cute. Really brighten up my day..(^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love orzo, with olives especially, and so does the rest of the household, so it's always a hit. I try to make extra for lunches the next day, but it never fails we end up eating it all before then, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There aren't any pluots here :( Not even ones that aren't sweet, lol. I'm curious about this orzo salad. You have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purple apple guy is precious! We discovered pluots this year and fell in love with them. They will be much missed as the season turns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy.I love the colours of your bento.You are my great teacher how to prepare tasty and intriguing food for my daughter.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Xelia, Quirky Jessi, Heather, Natakiya and making baking and creating ~ ! ^_^

    ReplyDelete