Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Garlic Shrimp Bento


Garlic Shrimp Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
For this bento I sauteed some shrimp in garlic, butter and lemon juice; then packed them into the box with some cilantro rice, steamed broccoli and carrot flowers. I usually use bigger shrimp ('cause I like the big ones), but the smaller ones came out pretty well too. And they cook super fast, which is a plus for me. The kids ate the shrimp for dinner with whole wheat bowtie pasta, which I cooked together with the broccoli in a single timesaving step.

I was able to find a bunch of summery fruits so I had to stick them in: along with the winter standard mandarin segments -- sliced strawberry, raspberries and blueberries.

I wanted to try making lemon risotto to go with the shrimp, since someone gifted us with a bunch of their backyard Meyer lemons, but ran out of time. Maybe I should use them for something sweet anyway, like lemon bars or some other dessert. I saw a recipe on twitter for limoncello bread pudding! Hmmm...

14 comments:

  1. simplicity in cooking prawns with garlic, butter and lemon juice, truly a classic. like the sound of the risotto. as always a lovely yummy pack :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy garlic shrimp! And I would say that pretty colorful bento is your trademark. Very nice on carrot flowers ... look like windmill for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lemons in the backyard... how awwesome is that! I always make lemon curd when I find lemons on sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I like shrimps and yours do really look delicious ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colors makes for a cheerful bento! Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this bento it is so simple. My only issue is I can't eat shrimp and I am so dying to have some (no pun intended). Those raspberries are goregous and plump I've been wanting some but can't find any good ones here. You did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum - and such sweet little carrot flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks javapot, Lia, Angi, Lil'chan, Kim, Debra, Marisa and Lexi! You guys are great! Love garlic shrimp myself; should really remember to make it more often.

    Angi, I would expect you know how to make lemon curd! I'll have to try something less complicated I think. Marisa, I have friends with the same issue. But I think crab and lobster are just as delicious! Lexi, if it weren't for the carrot flowers I guess this bento would be pretty ordinary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so much delicious juicy fruit in this one! and the shrimp also has a light feel -- you are really ringing in spring (or even summer) with this box, woo hoo! i really love how you've arranged the shrimp and mandarin segments in a similar fashion -- creates great harmony!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, I didn't notice the formation, but not surprised you did! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMM this looks so yummy, and colourful too - great presentation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello happylittlebento.........i love your beautiful bentos and simple directions.

    ReplyDelete